Three Things To Do While You Are Waiting For the Sunrise

My favorite thing about growing up in Florida was the time my family spent at the beach. I still love the beach. No, I’m not a sun-goddess. My fragile and freckled, pale skin has never stood a chance against the intensity of Florida’s sun-saturated sky.

Though I love the sound of the waves and the feel of the sand between my toes, my favorite pastime is to wake early each morning while everyone else is asleep and head out to the beach. With coffee in hand and a blanket draped around my shoulders, I make my way to a vacant beach chair and wait.

I wait as darkness looms all around. I wait, though the wind can cut mercilessly through any warmth from the blanket. I wait, though there is a heaviness in the air, a stillness that seems as intractable as it is dense. I wait.

I wait, because eventually the moment comes when the darkness gives way to a new day. The sky is painted in the most delicate array of color. In that moment everything changes. I wait for that moment, because every single day the sun rises I am reminded that the darkness doesn’t last forever. The light always comes.

For each of us there are times when it seems like the darkness before dawn will go on forever. Each of us will have moments, perhaps seasons, where the struggles of life threaten to overwhelm us, shake us from our safe, familiar bearings, and walk us into the coldest, harshest places.

Light in these seasons can seem so foreign, so other-worldly, so decidedly out of reach. Yet in the darkest moments, light is our greatest desire.

If you have ever felt lost in a season of darkness, there are three things to remember:

1. Hold on! Though everything in you feels like there is no hope, Scripture says that, “Joy comes in the morning.” (Psalm 30:5, NCV) Your joy too will come. It may not feel like it today, but just as sure as the suns rises each and every morning, you can be sure that this season will pass. Darkness cannot last forever. Trust that there is light beyond the darkness. Morning is coming. It will be better than you can imagine. You can make it through.

1. Listen inside. When you are going through difficult seasons, sometimes your only focus is getting out of this season. You long for relief. If you could, you’d put on your running shoes and run as far and as fast as possible away from the pain. No matter what you’re feeling, try to listen inside. Is there a wound God wants to be healed? Is there a principle God wants you to learn? Is there a way you can use this painful place as a source of growth on your journey? Your healing lies within. His light lies within. Reach for it. It may feel covered and hidden, but it is there. He won’t disappoint. You can find purpose in the pain.

1. Be compassionate and truthful with yourself. Sometimes when the light is so dim and hope seems so far away, you have the tendency to be the most critical and condemning of yourself. Your thinking becomes both extreme and negative. It is crucial that you learn to be compassionate and truthful with yourself. The truth is, though your pain is real, His banner over you is love. His light reaches into the deepest places. He is your light and your salvation. The truth is you are completely loved by God. The truth is you are stronger than you believe.

Are you struggling today in a season of darkness? Do you feel hopeless that morning will ever come for you?

Hold on. Listen inside. Be compassionate and truthful with yourself.

Light is made brighter, more brilliant, when it is displayed against the backdrop of darkness. His light will be made more breathtaking and miraculous against the backdrop of your night. He can take your darkness and transform it into light. Trust Him.

Even in the midst of the darkest nights, there is a sunrise coming!

1. “Light is made brighter, more brilliant, when it is displayed against the backdrop of darkness. ” So beautiful! Thank you for sharing the hope that comes when we are surrounded by darkness. Inspiring words today:)

June 16, 2015 at 7:32 AM

Kristine,
      Thank you for your encouragement! Yes, there is always hope. Our God never leaves us, He never forsakes us, and no matter how dark or dim life may feel, He promises that there will always be a sunrise ahead! Blessings!

2. What an inspiring post! Number three is a great reminder for me. It’s easy for me to become critical of myself when navigating through a period of darkness. But the important thing is knowing God uses all things for our good!!

June 18, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Lauren, I think we all can become critical when we feel lost in darkness. God is there and He does use everything for our good! Blessings!

3. I loved this… those three things are all things that God will be present for, and supply peace over. Darkness must flee with the arrival of the Sun! So glad I stopped in from the #RaRalinkup once more. Blessings!

June 18, 2015 at 7:15 AM

Thanks for stopping by, Christine! God is present, He does supply peace and in Him darkness must flee! Have a blessed week!

4. Such great reminders and tips. Thank you Lisa for sharing your heart.

5. Just this – Thank. you. I am really struggling this week. But morning has been promised. Joy will come.
    Blessings friend,
    Kamea

June 18, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Kamea,
      I will be praying for you this week, friend! Our morning has been promised. Our joy will come! Hold on!!!! Much love.

6. Lisa, I have written this post several times! It’s my story of HOPE – when He filled me to overflow with it in 2003. I’m your neighbor at Holley’s today #37!
    I grew up in South Florida and now live in the mountains of NC!

June 18, 2015 at 7:18 AM

Susan,
      I’m so glad to have you as my neighbor today! I think God works in similar ways in all of our lives! Love to hear your testimony.Blessings.

7. So thankful to stop by and be encouraged by your post! Incredibly thankful that His mercies are new every morning. May His light shine on us all!

8. Lisa, your site is beautiful. I’m visiting via #tellhisstory. “Trust that there is light beyond the darkness.” Your words resonate with me. I’ve had many moments of anxiety this week and I love the reminder that darkness cannot last forever. Thank you!

June 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Praying for you, Christina! There are many times of anxiety and stress that I have to remind myself of the truth – the darkness cannot last forever. Morning is coming. Blessings!

9. Loved this image.

He is our light!

Thank you for this beautiful post. Stopping by from Reflect.

June 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Jann,
      So glad you stopped by today! I’m so glad you liked the image of the sunrise. The light is coming – He is our light! Blessings.

10. Words of truth, Lisa: “Light is made brighter, more brilliant, when it is displayed against the backdrop of darkness.” Seeing God’s purpose in the pain and learning to look for what God can teach me is challenging but so good, especially if I don’t want to keep going around that mountain. Thank you, Lisa, for sharing your heart at #IntentionalTuesday on Intentionally Pursuing. : )

June 19, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Thank you Crystal, for stopping by! It is so hard at times to see God’s purpose when we are in the pain, but how it helps me walk through these seasons is amazing and faith-building. Blessings to you.

11. Such solid advice and counsel in this offering of grace you have shared. Holding on to that joy, remembering that He is the truest source of it has always been a passionate focal point. Where I fall short is the 3rd reminder you shared, being hard upon myself when the darkness comes. I often spend more time than necessary worrying about my failures than trusting His goodness in the midst of the hard time. Your words are a dose of medicine!
    Dawn

June 19, 2015 at 7:33 AM

So glad you were encouraged here today, Dawn! The third reminder is the hardest, but I do believe it has the greatest power to keep us standing, strong, and steady to endure the darkness. How much sweeter it is when morning comes! Blessings today!

12. Thanks Lisa, for encouraging me today! To stop, look inside and truthful with myself. That is a practice we should take more often in our lives. Thanks for sharing your heart at Words of Comfort Link Up. Hope to see you next Wednesday! Remember to share it with hashtag #wordsofcomfort for a change to be featured!!!

Tayrina

June 19, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Tayrina,
      Thanks for stopping by! I would love to stop by #wordsofcomfort! Blessings, friend!

13. Lisa, I was so encouraged by your post.

One of my “to do” items for our lake vacation in Maine coming up in two weeks is to get up before the sun does, and watch the sunrise. I will certainly be thinking of your insights about these Truths as I do.

I have certainly found that I feel the most joy when coming out of the darkest times. It’s hard to remember that in the midst of the darkness, but it is important I do.

Thanks so much for sharing.

June 19, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Karen,
      I’m so glad you were encouraged! I love Maine – almost as much as I love sunrises! Have a blessed time and be refreshed in knowing that darkness will only last a little while – morning always comes!

14. There is a lot of truth here. I just went through a season of darkness and looking back I can recognize God’s faithfulness through that season. Hindsight is usually 20/20. Thank you for this encouraging post!

June 19, 2015 at 7:37 AM

God is always faithful, Samantha! It can be terribly hard to see it in the midst of the darkness, but it is still true. Blessings to you today!

15. There are so many who are waiting for their sunrise or their miracle this side of heaven. Glad you are here adding to the conversation about hope in the waiting. We are neighbors at the #ReflectLinkUP today.

Christi

June 19, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Christi,
      So blessed to have you here today! There can be hope in the waiting for sunrises. Blessings today!

16. I have been through a season of darkness before and the # 3 is so good-be compassionate and truthful with yourself. You have to get inside yourself in that dark place and admit that is exactly where you are at that moment. Until I embraced the darkness for what it was, I was not able to move out of it into the light. I also have advice I give myself and my sons and that is to change focus. You can’t dwell inside that dark place but gently allow yourself to look outside and do something that clears your head such as taking walks, reading and reaching out to others to help you out of the darkness. Blessed to be visiting you from #DanceWithJesus

• Also blessed Lisa that you shared this at The Weekend Brew. Barbie and I love having you join us each week.

June 22, 2015 at 7:05 AM

I love it! “Until I embraced the darkness for what it was, I was not able to move out of it into the light.” That’s a powerful part of the process. As long as I fight against the darkness, as long as I push and resist this present season, I cannot be prepared to move into a season of light – a season of healing! Blessings, Mary!

17. Beautiful! We will be in Florida next month! 🙂

18. You are so right, Lisa. When the light is dim and hope seems far away, we do have a tendency to be critical and self-condemning. God will find incredible purpose in our pain if we will only release it to Him. Thank you for such a beautiful post. Visiting today from #DanceWithJesus Friday linkup.

June 22, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Janet,
      Yes, we must release our pain to Him and allow Him to reveal the purpose. We may not know the purpose in the here and now, but we can always trust that God forever has a purpose that He is working in our lives. Blessings!

19. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post at The Weekend Brew. It really blessed me today.

20. Light is made brighter against the backdrop of darkness. Amen!

Especially when it’s His light shine for and through us. This is absolutely good news Lisa. Thank you for joining the dance each week and sharing your inspiring words. They make such a difference for each one of us. Hugs. Susan