Why The Wise Man Built His House On a Rock, And You Should, Too

I have felt the tremors shake the ground beneath my feet. I have heard the rumble of change in the distance. Maybe you have noticed it, too.

With the recent Supreme Court rulings, what once seemed like small shifts, infrequent adjustments, minor accommodations pulling at the fabric of our society, have now become seismic reverberations, undermining the foundation of everything we knew, or thought we knew. Almost with a single motion, the roots that held us together and strengthened us have been extracted, uprooted, undone.

The aftershocks weigh heavily as our souls struggle to digest this new, unfettered, cultural reality and the implications this reality has on the community of faith.

Some questions keep reverberating in my mind. How did we get here? How did things change so quickly? More importantly, how do we move forward?

In a world of ever-increasing change, I am convinced that foundations and anchors are two of the most important keys toward building a life of stability, strength, and peace.

Why We Need Foundations and Anchors

Anyone who has built a home or seen a construction project knows that an enormous amount of time and energy goes into the design and engineering of the foundation. The foundation must be properly poured without defect. The footers must be anchored to a larger bedrock beneath, the anchors providing necessary strength and stability to the structure, protecting it against the elements that might come against it.

Ships use anchors to hook themselves into a seabed or something large in the ocean so they will not drift or be shaken from their moorings. Anchors give purpose, strength, and stability in the midst of an otherwise unpredictable ocean.

Anchors are important. Without foundations and anchors to strengthen us, steady us, support us, we are left vulnerable to the forces of nature that wield their power against us. If a ship loses its anchor, it is left to wander helplessly through the ocean of life. I have wandered at times, horrifically off-course, at the mercy of a chaotic and confusing culture pulling at me. We as a people have wandered.

Perhaps we have become that ship without an anchor. Fifty years ago, we thought we as a country and a people, shared similar beliefs, that our foundation was solid and sure.

The Consequences of Anchoring To Ourselves

Yet over time, we have begun to unhook from those anchors in our lives. Our foundation, our values and beliefs are no longer derived from a solid and trusted source of truth outside of ourselves to which we adjust and adhere. Slowly it seems, we have become anchored to ourselves— anchored to our emotions, anchored to what seems right in our own eyes. We have thrown off any external belief system, any god that would compel us to examine ourselves and adjust our words and actions to align with the truth; we have simply grown accustomed to creating our own truth and molding any external realities to fit our feelings or sophisticated sensibilities.

The problem with this approach is that we are not reliable sources for truth or stability. Could you effectively anchor a ship to itself? What then would steady or stabilize it? For individuals, what was true for us yesterday might not be true for us today. What we feel today we may no longer feel tomorrow. How could we hope to build a solid foundation for our lives that could withstand the forces of nature, if there is nothing solid and unwavering on which we can count that can steady us against the willful and unmerciful torrents that life and nature bring?

Foundations and anchors – the most important elements in your life that you will ever decide. What does your foundation look like? On what is your foundation built? Is it built on your feelings, your own reasoning? Is a built on something larger than yourself, something tested, something strong that will guide you, that will give your life the stability, direction, and purpose for which you long?

1 Corinthians 3:10 (NIV) states that, By the grace that God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.

Jesus, the Cornerstone

Jesus Christ, the unique and perfect Son of God, who came to earth to love us, to redeem us, to offer us a hope, not just for today, but for eternity. He alone is the Truth to which I cling. He is the Cornerstone for the foundation of my life. I made a decision to anchor myself to Him, His truth, His ways.

Isaiah 28:16 (NIV) says, So this is what the Sovereign Lord says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic.

In a recent article, @KellyBalarie said of foundations, The solid rock of Christ doesn’t always remove us from the storm, but it always secures us as we get through it.

Matthew 7:24-27 (NIV) speaks of the importance of foundations:

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Everything else that you build in your life will be built on your foundation. Do you have it right? Are you sure?

Have you checked your foundation lately to make sure that the substructure of your life is well-built and can withstand the forces that life will bring to bear?

Are you anchored to something larger than yourself to give your life stability and strength or are you anchored only to yourself, left merely to drift and wander through life?

Have you tried to conform the truth to your feelings, your sensibilities? Do you know what you believe and why?

I encourage you to take this moment, this season, to check your foundation. Everything else you build in life will be built upon this one thing. Foundations and anchors can help you build a future with clarity, conviction, with courage, and hope.

The strength you gain will bring you peace.

***If you enjoyed this post, I would love for you to like it and share it via Facebook or Twitter.

I’d be over the moon to hear your comments!****

1. Love this post! It’s so easy to anchor ourselves to something/someone other than God! I try to rely on my own strength time and again – and it never works well. Thanks so much for sharing your insights with us! Stopping by from the #RaRaLinkup.

July 7, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Christa,
      I’m so glad this post spoke to you! It is so easy to anchor ourselves to things other than God and not even be aware of it! Our own strength never works – only His strength, only His anchor! Blessings to you today!

2. Lisa,

Shared this on Twitter. Wise words, friend. Timely, too! Thank you so much for this.
    #Intentionallypursuing

3. Abby McDonald

July 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM

This is where the rubber meets the road, isn’t it? Lisa, you have a way with words, my friend. No, we cannot anchor to ourselves and the results are devastating when we do. Thank you for this beautiful reminder that there is only one anchor we need, and it is found in Him. Loved this.

July 8, 2015 at 7:12 AM

Yes, Abby. This is where the rubber meets the road. You are right – when we anchor to ourselves the results are always devastating! Always such a blessings to have you stop by! Love my online girlfriends!

4. Amazing post Lisa! Thank you for the wisdom you shared and the way you have shone a light into darkness.

July 8, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Chera,
      Thank you for you encouragement. God’s light always shines brilliantly into dark places and brings life, and hope, and peace! Blessings!

5. Debbie Putman

July 8, 2015 at 7:38 AM

“His truth teaches me, comforts me, challenges me. His truth allows my identity to grow solid and strong. I am not strong. My anchor is strong.” Thank you for this inspiring reminder of staying anchored in Christ no matter what is going on around me. Joining you today from Coffee for Your Heart.

6. Lisa,
    This is so true: “The problem with this approach is that we are not reliable sources for truth or stability. Could you effectively anchor a ship to itself?” Thank you.

7. When everything around us get destroyed or moved, we only have our God and we can trust Him. He is our anchor and our foundation. He must be always! Thanks Lisa, for sharing this encouraging post in Words of Comfort Link Up, see you next Wednesday!

Tayrina

July 9, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Tayrina,
      Yes, God alone is our anchor and our foundation! Nothing else will give our lives the strength and stability we need. So happy to join you at Words of Comfort Link Up!

8. Crystal Storms

July 9, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Lisa, your words ring with truth … all else is sinking sand. Let us anchor ourselves to the truth of God’s Word. Let us anchor ourselves to the hope we have in Jesus and make Him our anchor. Thank you, Lisa, for sharing your heart at #IntentionalTuesday on Intentionally Pursuing. : )

July 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Thank you for your encouragement, Crystal! Anchoring to Jesus is the best way to secure our safety, our hope, our future. Thanks for stopping by today. Blessings!

9. Crystal Hornback

July 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Such powerful and thought-provoking questions! Thank you for speaking truth today, Lisa! #livefreeThursday

10. Thank you for these words today. My heart is heavily burdened with the rapid changes that continue to take place in our world. Asking ourselves the questions, such as how did we get here and how do we move forward are important. Highlighting that we must first check our own foundation and anchors is even more important than just asking ourselves questions.

God is the cornerstone needed to hold our foundation in place and it is built on His truth and His Word. May we all be securing God as our cornerstone today. Weekend blessings! Glad to be your neighbor at #DanceWithJesus

• Thank you for sharing these beautiful words at The Weekend Brew.

July 13, 2015 at 6:37 AM

So blessed to have you stop by today! I think many of us have been burdened with what is taking place in the world. We must check our foundation – we must cling to God as the cornerstone of our lives. Blessings to you!

11. Lisa- Great post! I love these sticking words: “What we feel today we may no longer feel tomorrow. How could we hope to build a solid foundation for our lives that could withstand the forces of nature, if there is nothing solid and unwavering on which we can count that can steady us against the willful and unmerciful torrents that life and nature bring?” Excellent reflection. Thanks for sharing your gift here.

July 13, 2015 at 6:38 AM

Karen,
      I’m so glad you enjoyed this post! Yes, our emotions are fickle things – if we build a life on them, we will be building on shaky ground. Blessings to you!

12. I whole-heartedly agree with you on this, Lisa! In fact, my pastor-husband just resigned his position at our church because the leaders are no longer wiling to support a biblical foundation. They have chosen to anchor to themselves (well, one man’s opinion in particular). It’s a sad thing to see firsthand the destruction that comes from such a decision! Thank you for sharing these truths with us at Grace and Truth last week!
    Jen @ Being Confident of This

July 17, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Thank you for sharing, Jen! We are finding and will continue to find, that many will fall away, even in the church. It breaks my heart to see, but it will continue, which is why Christians need to invest in building an indestructible foundation. We will need it! Blessings friend!