My Favorite Books Week

I’ve always loved to read. Growing up, I would pray for a rainy day just so I could curl up underneath my covers and have an excuse to spend the entire day lost within the pages of an incredible story.

There are a few books that have not only entertained me, not only taught me, but have healed and changed me in so many profound ways on my journey. Most of my clients know my favorites – I assign them as homework! I am delighted to share them with you today. They are wonderful inspiration, but more than that, they are medicine for the deepest wounds that exist within each of us.

The Inner Voice of Love – Henri Nouwen

My favorite book by my favorite author is The Inner Voice of Love: A Journey Through Anguish to Freedom by Henri Nouwen. Nouwen speaks to the deepest, rawest places in my soul in a way that touches my intellect, my body and my spirit and pours God’s healing salve offering new hope, new courage, and new life.

Nouwen was a Catholic priest who died in 1996. A renowned author, he taught at several theological institutes and universities in his home country of the Netherlands as well as the Unites States. During the final years of his life, he served people with physical and mental disabilities at L’Arche Daybreak Community in Toronto, Canada. He authored many books on the spiritual life, including classics such as, The Return of the Prodigal, The Wounded Healer, The Only Necessary Thing, and many others.

The Inner Voice of Love is a compilation of excerpts from his personal journal, detailing one of the most difficult seasons of his life in which he experienced an emotional and spiritual crisis. We get the benefit of walking with him during his fierce inner battle and strengthening our own lives as a result of his spiritual insights.

If you need a companion to guide you on your healing path, I can think of no better company.

Abba’s Child – Brennan Manning

Second on my favorites list is Abba’s Child by Brennan Manning. This book was pivotal in my healing process. For any of us who have learned to live behind a mask in order to keep ourselves safe from ridicule, rejection, pain, Abba’s Child is an incredible journey toward recognizing areas where our “imposter” has prevented us from being authentic and has kept us from creating a safe, compassionate environment for our authentic selves to emerge as we learn to embrace our core identity as “Abba’s child.” Nothing to prove, nothing to earn, our identity simply is an undeniable fact of our being – not based upon us, solely based on His endless and powerful love for us. What freedom, what joy to experience His love!

Manning grew up in Brooklyn, NY during the Great Depression. After two years at St. John’s University, he joined the Marines, returning from war to study journalism until he had an encounter with God that drew him into the Catholic priesthood. He graduated from St. Francis College and Seminary and was ordained into the Franciscan priesthood.

He spent many years travelling the world, ministering to the poor and spending much time in isolation. He began writing and publishing his books in earnest, and his ministry grew to nationwide speaking engagements. Along the way, he found himself descending into alcoholism, spending time in Hazelden treatment center. Manning eventually left the Franciscan order to marry. He continued to write and speak about God’s unconditional love until his passing in 2013.

If you find yourself covered with anxiety, shame and guilt, trying to gain the acceptance and approval of others; if you long to lay down the façade you hide behind and discover the depth of God’s love for you, this book will be a rich source of understanding, healing, and freedom.

The Gifts of Imperfection – Brene Brown, Ph.D., LMSW

As this book’s subtitle states, this book is a guide to a “wholehearted” life, allowing us to let go of who we think we’re supposed to be and learn to embrace who we are.

So many of us have spent our entire lives engaging the world from a place of emptiness, neediness, self-criticism, self-hatred. We have needed so much external validation, approval, and love to feel whole, to feel “enough.” Brown teaches us how to give ourselves the gifts of compassion, resiliency, worthiness and authenticity so we can cultivate a place where our whole heart can be nourished well, freeing us to embrace a life of joy, love, faith, and peace.

Brown is a researcher, writer, and professor. She is a member of the research faculty at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work where she has spent the past decade studying a concept she calls “Wholeheartedness,” where she explores how we can engage our lives from a place of authenticity and worthiness, as well as how we can develop the courage, compassion, and connection we need to embrace our imperfections and recognize that we are enough, that we are worthy to experience love, belonging, and joy.

As a recovering perfectionist, The Gifts of Imperfection was explosive in transforming how I thought, felt and engaged my own heart in a way that completely transformed how I engaged life. This book blends her research with her own story in a way that is relatable, understandable, and powerful. Get two copies, one for yourself, as well as another you will want to give away!

Anonymous – Dr. Alicia Britt Chole

I had truly never thought about it before —Jesus’ hidden years. I had never thought about how the hidden years of His life, His quiet seasons of anonymity were purposefully ordained by God to pour a solid foundation for His public ministry, to prepare Him for His season of greatness. If God used the hidden years as part of His perfect plan for Jesus’ life, could God also use the hidden years in our lives as part of His perfect plan for us as well?

A brilliant and thoughtful writer, Chole teaches us how we can recognize the riches in the uncelebrated seasons of our lives. By resisting resentment, pursuing deep growth, and learning to repurpose our hidden years, we can be prepared to live out God’s indestructible plan for our lives with clarity, integrity, and confidence.

Chole lived much of her young life as an atheist, considering herself somewhat of a realist who felt more comfortable with unanswered questions than she did with fairytales. But when God captured her heart in 1983, she began to use her gifts of words and introspection to write and speak around the country, ministering to a generation of individuals and leaders within the Christian community with a gentle, yet profound authority. I have been humbled and blessed to call her both a mentor and friend.

Anonymous freed me from the internal pressures to perform, as well as the external pressures of a hurried agenda, a missed opportunity, a limited timeframe. This book allowed me to rest in knowing that God’s timeline is perfect. He doesn’t pressure, He only leads. The seasons of hiddenness in my life have been just as timely and meaningful as any seasons of greatness. I have found freedom to be present in this moment. God’s will is being worked in my life as I surrender and obey. I’ve missed nothing and I’ve gained Him. My foundation is strong. There is nothing better!

This is the book you buy and keep telling your friends to buy!

Lisa

1. Nowen and Manning are both authors that I’ve had on my list for long time. I guess it’s time to take the plunge!

September 29, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Michele,
      It’s time! If you are a “journey-er” and desire a path of healing and growth, these books will be welcome companions for you! Take the plunge – you’ll be glad you did. Blessings, friend!

2. Thank you Lisa. I look forward to checking out these books. I was aware of Brene Brown, but the other authors are new to me. I am visiting from the RaRaLinkup. Blessings, Tamera at Sow & Gather

September 29, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Tamera,
      So glad to have you stop by today! All of the authors are beautiful and unique in their own rights, but each will definitely lead you ahead on the road of your healing. Blessings to you!

3. Am bookmarking this page, Lisa. Abba’s Child is headed for the “to read” list, although they all sound wonderfully deep and life-changing. Thanks for sharing, as I’d not heard of any of these. xo

September 30, 2015 at 7:52 AM

So glad, Kristi! They are all great – Abba’s Child is awesome. I know you will love it! Blessings, friend!

4. Love Manning and Brene Brown, but I must confess I’ve never read anything by Nouwen. I’ve wanted to a while, because of all the quotes I’ve read that have interested me. Thanks for these recommendations. I grew up praying for extra reading time too! 🙂

September 30, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Angela,
      If you like Manning and Brown, I can’t imagine you wouldn’t love Nouwen. He has a way of gently uncovering deep places in my soul that need healing and speaking truth and life into them. Blessings to you!

5. Thanks for this great list!! I cannot seem to ever get enough of reading and my overflowing bookshelves in 4 rooms of my house show it!! I love Henri Nouwen, but had not read this one! Abba’s Child by Manning is a favorite of mine as well. I am intrigued by your description of Anonymous! Great suggestions!! Have you read Gospel Medicine by Barbara Brown Taylor? Finished it recently and very much enjoyed it!

October 2, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Pam,
      So glad to have you stop by today! It’s always great meeting other book-lovers. I have not read Gospel Medicine – looks like that will be going on my reading list! Blessings to you!

6. Fantastic list of books. I am saving this to put on my TBR shelf on GoodReads. Thanks for sharing. I hope you will link up with us this week at Literacy Musing Mondays. This list will inspire my readers! Here is the link:

October 2, 2015 at 7:17 AM

I would love to stop by and share with your readers on Monday! I love to read and books have been an important part of my healing journey! Blessings to you, friend!

7. Started listening to Abba’s Child this morning and just received Anonymous in the mail this afternoon! Now I’m just asking the Lord to give me alittle silence and solitude to dig in! Thanks for the recommendations! I love books!

October 2, 2015 at 7:19 AM

Jen,
      So honored to have you here!!!!! You will have to follow-up and let me know how you liked the recommendations. I’ll pray for a bit of solitude so you have some quiet space to dig in! Blessings, dear one!

8. Lisa, all these books look great. I have three ready to read now, but these will be on my list. I’m thankful for your words and your recommendations. Have a blessed day! Following your at Susan’s today.

October 3, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Julie,
      Always a blessing to have you stop by! I hope you love these books as much as I have. Warmest blessings and peace to you!

9. I’ve heard a lot about Abba’s Child, but still have yet to read it. I’m currently reading Fulfilled by Danise Jurado, Every Little Thing by Deidra Riggs, and soon to start Brave Enough by Nicole Unice.
    Laura

10. I’ve never read any of these, but now I want to – starting with “Anonymous.” Your descriptions make them all sound like excellent choices. Adding them to my reading list. Too often my discretionary reading time is consumed with “how-to” books aimed at helping me conquer the “to-dos” of my life. I am ordering “Anonymous” today! #FaithandFellowshipBlogHop

October 3, 2015 at 8:00 AM

Wendy,
      “Anonymous” is powerful. “How-to” books are great, but sometimes my soul needs a deep cleansing and filling. These books are soul-food! Blessings to you today!

11. Lisa, I’m adding these to my reading list. Each one sounds like something I’d enjoy and benefit from. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Grace and Truth.

October 3, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Debbie,
      So glad to have you stop by today! Praying the Lord blesses you as you read. Have a great weekend!

12. Thank you Lisa. Wonderful inspiration and some titles I need to remember when book shopping. Hugs, Susan

13. Tina at Mommynificent

October 8, 2015 at 8:11 AM

I’ve been blessed multiple times by Nouwen quotes in various books, but I’ve never actually picked up one of his books. And I’ve heard Brennan Manning speak several times without picking up one of his books either! Need to remedy that soon. I’m also very interested in the last book you mentioned. Great post! Thanks for sharing it at Booknificent Thursday this week!
    Tina

October 9, 2015 at 5:48 AM

Tina,
      You can’t go wrong with any of these books. Anonymous is a great choice! Blessings to you! I can’t believe you got to hear Manning speak – WOW!

14. Dropping in to thank you for linking up with Grace & Truth this week!
    Thank you for the book list. 🙂
    God bless.